



CG Meeting Regarding Event on 2015/10/23

October 2, 2015 6:00 – 7:00 PM

- **Roll Call: DSM, JDS (call in), JRP**
- Motions: **Action Items: bolded**

Jds: WE SHOULD move on

We should be honest, that we do want this to be our venture. We see you are sensitive as to how things were run

Di: if nonprofit, would expect to be acknowledged, best for everybody.

Jds: should not come to shock to him. We acknowledge we want it to be our initiative. It's ok if it doesn't develop as we planned it.

Di: invented Velcro without actually inventing it.

Jds: we don't need to call it anything. It is the CG public forum.

Jds: [I was chatting with Mike Furniss and we were] lamenting that there was no grad student group and activity. There are forums on campus, but not a lot of forums where grad students can defend idea, approaches, progress, etc. we did this a little at hfog.

Di: ____

Jds: reflecting on that because, if we define forum without a name, give us a flexibility... a program where we facilitate student programs,,, easier to plug in what we want, to support our mission.

Dgs: originally I was thinking that this could maybe be a CG kickoff, membership event, "what we can do for you?" "What does community need from us?"

Jds: segue to talking about first meeting.

Di: call it "CG presents"

Di: wanna do quarterly or monthly,

Jds: puts name out there... could also mean, CG presents its schedule of xcvfsd, or CG presents, kjsldk. CG presents an open forum of grad students' presentations.

Jp: moves to name our project "Cascadia presents." Dgs second.

Jds: defined enough to have a need,

Dgs: regularity to our presents?

How designate budget?



Any limitations?

Jrp: Table motion about the name until after we know what it is.

Jds: "it" could be lots of things...

Vote unanimous, it is called: Cascadia GeoSciences Presents"

Dgs: let's define the "it" that is coming up:

Jds: don't need to roll out a series, can promote this it as an opportunity to bring together like minded people, intro to CG, present our current work

Di: do we ask students what they want to do?

Jds: suggest types of forums that would be useful to community, forums, but not leave it open ended (need to provide some structure!)

Jp: just like CG is in general, we provide a framework for people to make presentations, etc. custom "its"

Jds: provide enough directions, so if they contribute, that know people are moving forward.

Jp: need to facilitate the development of "its"

Di: have some limitations, how fund, organizational limitations, probably get more response than we can handle

Jds: gary needs to realize that when he took hard position, driving us apart, all bets are off,.. We don't need to coordinate with him at all. We are moving fwd, no bad vibes at all

Di: we can move on and paint the room whatever color we want.

Jp: we will want to take a "felt needs survey"

Di: we want to say, "These are what we want to offer, but want to know what you want."

Jds: in intro period, give background, where we are at, what our objectives, one of our programs is CGP. One of these ideas we could pursue with CGP: lecture series, student forum, and special events. What do you, our future supporters, do you have any interest in any of these things and if there anything else that you would like to see?

Di: give intro as listed above, give science talk, then have solicitation?

Jds: re: soliciting feedback: we have a website, we deliver it in person and also a website

Di: have multiple ways of collecting information: verbal option, written option, website option.

Jp: I will draft felt needs survey

Di: have other ideas to add to our direction



Di: cross out HFOG history motion

Jp second it

Unanimous

Jds: moving agenda:

15-20 social time

30 mintes Part 1 intro CG, history, mission and objectives, organizational structure, programs we offer, opportunity for membership and participation

30 mins: humbayvery maybe 45 maybe more

20 mins discussion/feedback, website,

30 mins social time.

Jp: second

Dis: 2 questions about agenda

(1)

Jds have stuff about community, asking them what they want, at end

Jp: looking forward belongs at the end

Dgs: if still interested, can hang out..

(2) can somebody state organizational structure.?

Jp: we need to get feedback to di soon re: organizational structure (see last meeting notes from board meeting)

Di: like order of operations, all five of us need to have clear message and it is the same.

Jds: have spokesperson for part A.

Jp: have group develop narrative, then have one person present it.

Dgs: should have communications director present that

Dgs: move assign communications director: present part A at first meeting.

Jp: really good at conveying information

Jds: would be happy to bring together a script



Jds: rather than making me a position, the outreach coordinator, person responsible (aka marketing director), I would be willing to do that.

Dgs: VP will be communications director until assign this and communications director will take over communications, etc.

Jds: want meeting to last an hour.

Jps: second

Unanimous

Jds: prepare something and circulate Part A

Di: insurance? Tbw knows about insurance, di will contact tbw

Di: appropriate to get pony keg?

Jds: all about insurance

Di: need to entice students in some way, but not make it a drunk fest...

Di: 2 beer limit? Tickets?

Di: flash drives? Ordered 50 flash drives, clean canteen take longer. Small cups \$5 each, larger coffee = \$17 a piece

Thumb drives blue

New members, thumb drive as give away.

Members not give away to students

Thumb drive = membership

Jp: move to change student member fee to 5\$, and move to have member benefit of either thumb drive or cup or anything that is a \$5 cost to CG "token swag

Jds: seconded motion

Unanimous

Jds/di: get ronna to get pony keg donated from mad river bewery

Jds: once some biz support us, others will too.

Di: someone get food

Di: need second pmt: jay and di deal

Jp: has projector



Di: science talk? Jds?

Jds: only jay and todd, todd as primary

Di: invite jeff, et al.

Jds: ask jeff to add more detail afterwards

Di: since not using hfog list, send guest list.

Jp: use new website for email list.

Jp: poster: I will do draft circulate and get approval before it goes live

Di: don't only need list

Jds: if organize organizations, use social media, hit organizations to also spread social media.

Jds: follow up mtg 10/14 6pm

Di second

Unanimous

Di: date times: 5:30 to 8:30 10/23